Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Harbingers

Spring has finally, perhaps, sprung?  Bits of color are showing up, in any case.  When we bought our house, I was happy to find dozens and dozens of daffodils in the backyard.  Then, my mother-in-law gave me dozens more, plus allium, narcissus, sedum galore, and hellebore, and I rounded all of those out with some crocus.

Crocus nestled in Angelina sedum

Needless to say, spring is one of my favorite times in the garden.  Weeds are not awake yet, the perennials are coming out of hibernation, and the bulbs are going gonzo.  We're not quite there yet, but we're definitely headed in the right direction.


I have a nice collection of various kinds of "hens and chicks,"  also thanks  to my mother-in-law.  They've spent the winter curled up in tight little buds and are just now thinking of uncurling.


I have a lot of sedum that acts as ground cover, but I also have a few that mound.  I can't remember, off the top of my head,what this type is called, but its a favorite.  Right now, tiny little buds are emerging at the base of last years stalks.  They'll be edged in pink and will fan out symmetrically when they get bigger.



No comments :

Post a Comment