Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Were We Really Though?

We Were Liars
by E. Lockhart

Read on December 26, 2015. 

This is a well-reviewed young adult book, and I will say that it is solid. It did not amaze me, but has a lot going for it. I did not figure out the twist (I never figure out the twist). Even better, I was sure that I did know what it was, only to find out that I was wrong. That built-in red herring was a nice touch. 

On the negative side, the entire heft and weight of the book lies in obscuring a few of Cadence's actions one fateful summer. If this story were told chronologically, it would fall flat unless great care were taken with additional character development, viewpoints from other characters, and a wealth of background information. I think I am trying to say that the surprise ending feels like a gimmick to give people a reason to read what is otherwise an extremely simple, bare bones story.  




Final Call:





I like chronological shenanigans when the book is a heavy-hitter in other ways, too, but this one I think leaned on it too much.

If you like this, try:
I feel like I don't read enough Young Adult titles to offer anything meaningful. This article has 10 suggestions that seem legit, though!




No comments :

Post a Comment